Appendix 1—Historic Maps
Archaeology | Heritage | Landscape | Ecology | Visualisations East Bergholt Conservation Area | 1
Designated Assets within the Parish
Figures at the start of this Appendix are duplicated form the Historic Landscape Study (HCUK
Group, 2021) which covered the whole Parish. Though the conservation area is a smaller study,
and the list which follows these figures only includes assets within the conservation area itself,
the figures are duplicated because of the important overlap between the landscape study and the
conservation area appraisal. The numbering system was maintained.
Appendix 2—Designated Heritage Assets
Archaeology | Heritage | Landscape | Ecology | Visualisations East Bergholt Conservation Area | 2
Designated Assets within the village centre
Figures at the start of this Appendix are duplicated form the Historic Landscape Study (HCUK
Group which covered the whole Parish. Though the conservation area is a smaller study, and the
list which follows these figures only includes assets within the conservation area itself, the figures
are duplicated because of the important overlap between the landscape study and the
conservation area appraisal. The numbering system was maintained. The figures show the
conservation area as at 2023.
Archaeology | Heritage | Landscape | Ecology | Visualisations East Bergholt Conservation Area | 3
Table of listed buildings
No. on Map Historic England
List Entry
No.
Name Listing Text
Grade I
1 1033437 MILLERS HOUSE AND COTTAGE Millers house and cottage, now Field Studies Centre. C17 origins, altered C18 and later.
Possibly timber-framed, cased in red brick, mainly in Flemish bond but central section in
English bond. Plain tiles. 2 storeys and attic. West front: Millers house to left, cottage to
right. Millers house of 3 bays, the 3rd bay being in English bond. 2 cross casements under
segmental gauged arches, French windows to right. First floor band. Iron tie ends. Cross
casements above. Wooden eaves cornice. Hipped dormers with C20 windows. Ridge stack,
further stack to ridge right contains brick dated 1619 but this stack has been rebuilt since
painting by John Constable of 1812 showing stack in alternative position. Cottage: central
staircase projection under pent roof contains door. Casement window under segmental
arch to left. First floor band. Iron tie ends. Stepped and dentilled eaves. Small flat-roofed
dormer. End ridge stack. East front: Millers House has 2-storey staircase extension in
angle with mill of late C18 – early C19 date with a wooden doorcase of Gibbs surround
with fanned keyblock and pediment. 12-pane sash in flush architrave under flat gauged
brick arch and C20 cross casement under segmental arch. Plinth to part. 4-course first
floor band. C20 window above. Wood eaves cornice. Cottage has plank door under
segmental arch and wide cambered arch to left, partly blocked, containing later window.
C20
window above. Stepped and dentilled eaves.
Interior of house: staircase hall with cut-string stair with carved tread ends, stick
balusters, slender column newels and ramped handrail. Domed light above. Early C19
fireplaces. One transverse beam with run-out chamfer stops. Flatford Mill came into the
possession of the Constable family in the mid C18. This house may have been the
birthplace of John Constable as records appear to show that the family house in the
village centre was not built until 1779 (Jennings). The latter was sold after the death of
Golding Constable, father of John, in the early C19 and Abram and Mary, John’s brother
and sister, returned to this house. The Grade I status reflects its significance in the life
2 1033438 WILLY LOTTS COTTAGE
Farmhouse, now accommodation for Field Studies Centre. Late C16-C17. Timber-framed,
rendered. Plain tile roof. Red brick stacks and brick plinth.
Single-storey and attic range of 2 bays with 2-storey, 2-bay cross wing to left and single-
storey cross wing to right. To centre range a plank door in ovolo and hollow-chamfered
surround. Cross casement with leaded lights to left. Cross casements to ground and first
floor of cross wing and a further similar window to left return of single storey range which
has a 3-light diamond mullion window to gable end. Further cross casements and plank
door to rear. Stack between centre range and 2-storey range, further stack to right gable
end of centre range. Interior: centre range has red brick inglenook with chamfered
bressummer with bar stop.
Chamfered spine beam with lamb’s tongue stop and
exposed joists. Room to right has deep chamfered beam and roll-moulded spine beam and
exposed
joists. Further red brick inglenook with chamfered bressummer, 2-storey range has
moulded beam and exposed joists. Closed-string newel stair with onion pendant. First floor
shows jowled posts. Grade I listing reflects the importance of this building as part of the
Flatford Mill group and its significance in the work of the artist John Constable. Leased by
the National Trust to the Field Studies Council.
Archaeology | Heritage | Landscape | Ecology | Visualisations East Bergholt Conservation Area | 4
Table of listed buildings
No. on Map Historic England
List Entry
No.
Name Listing Text
Grade I
3 1033473 VALLEY FARMHOUSE House. Late C15 open hall with cross wing incorporating C14 features. Rear range
probably C17. Small later addition to left. Renovated and restored to original form C20.
Timber-framed. Plain tile roof. Red brick stacks. Open hall with 2-storey, 2-bay jettied
cross wing to left and through passage and 2-storey service wing to right. Close studding
with middle rail. Plank door under chamfered Tudor arch. 6-light diamond mullion hall
window. Small 2-light mullion window to left of entrance. 4-light mullion window to
service range. 3-light cross casements with leaded lights to cross wing with jettied gable
end and tension braces to first floor.
Pent roof to upper window. Roof hipped at right. Ridge stack to left of entrance and further
stack to left return of cross wing. Further diamond mullion windows and plank door under
chamfered Tudor
arch to rear. Rear range heightened and altered, underbuilt in brick. Interior: framing
exposed. Open hall has pair of chamfered posts with arch braces to chamfered cambered
tie-beam supporting octagonal crown post with moulded base and capital, braced to purlin
and collar. Down braces to end walls. Shutter groove to hall window. Through passage to
right with paired doorways to service range with plank doors under Tudor arches. Original
stairs to service range along rear wall. Inglenook fireplace with cambered moulded
bressumer containing moulded brick arched recess at left, massive stepped stack.
To first floor of service range to hall side a blocked elliptical-arched moulded brick
fireplace. Jettied range: exposed framing including wall plate showing edge-halved scarf
joint. Blocked diamond mullion window. To centre, pair of posts with arch braces to
cambered tie beam which supports a short octagonal crown post with capital of 3 convex
mouldings of probable mid C14 date. (Attic floor inserted). C14 roof structure in
combination with later features in walling suggests a probable C15 reconstruction of this
wing. Grade I status reflects the historic interest of the building and its extra significance
as part of the Flatford Mill group. Leased by the National Trust
to The Field Studies Council and used as the Warden’s House.
5 1351931 FLATFORD MILL Watermill, now Field Studies Centre. 1733 datestone, incorporating possibly earlier but
altered former granary range to rear and further C19 range adjoining granary. Later
alterations. Red brick in Flemish bond with weatherboarded lucam and
granary range. Plain tile roofs. Main range 2 storeys and attic. South front: 4 first floor
windows, central gable to attic. Door to right with overlight in tall opening which breaks
the first floor band. 24-pane segment-arched sash to right. Low plank door to centre. 4
round-arched windows, 2 with iron glazing bars with radial glazing to heads and two C20
wooden replicas of these. Small 2-light windows to first floor. First floor band of 3 courses,
similar to gable. Lucam to right gable end. Rear: two blocked wheel arches. Door under
segmental arch surmounted by datestone. 4-course first floor band. Pitching door above
and 2 small windows under segmental arches. Stepped eaves. Attic gable glazed early
C20. Wheel arrangement altered C19, wheel house added to right. No wheels left in situ.
Range attached to rear left, former granary now incorporated into accommodation. Single
storey and attic. Extension under pent roof to mill pond side, C20 casements. Gabled
dormers to mansard roof.
Further brick range at lower level with gabled dormer to mill pond side. Interior of
granary range shows timber-framing with some chamfered jowled posts, studded walls,
massive beams of apparently inserted ceiling. The mill was in the possession of the
Constable family from the mid C18. Its Grade I status reflects its significance in the life
and work of John Constable. Leased by the National Trust to the
Field Studies Council.
Archaeology | Heritage | Landscape | Ecology | Visualisations East Bergholt Conservation Area | 5
Table of listed buildings
No. on Map Historic England
List Entry
No.
Name Listing Text
Grade I
4 1193803 CHURCH OF ST MARY Church. Chancel C14 with C15 alterations. North and south chapels mid C15 with later
alterations. South aisle later C15, incorporating C14 south door. 1525 date-stone on
tower. North aisle, clerestory and nave arcades c1530s – 40s. Restoration 1850s – 60s.
Further alterations and additions of early C20 by T G Jackson. Perpendicular style. Tower
of brick and flint faced with knapped flint. North aisle mainly brick with some septaria and
roughly-dressed stone. South aisle brick and snapped flint. Later stucco to aisles, now
removed. Ashlar clerestory. South porch and chancel rendered above plinth. Ashlar
dressings throughout. Plain tile roofs. West tower with passage through, 5-bay aisled nave,
south porch with parvise, 2-bay chancel with single-bay chapels to north and south.
Tower: incomplete, raised only to single stage. 5-sided angle turrets, ashlar plinth with
encircled quatrefoils containing shields. Much weathered flushwork above. Wide north and
south arches to passage. 2-centred moulded arches on inner responds with continuously
moulded jambs under square label containing encircled quatrefoil with shields and
mouchettes to spandrels. Date plaque above south arch now illegible. Passageway retains
vault shafts. West doors have linenfold panelling and enriched central baluster. West front
has C20 paired traceried windows and is surmounted by C18 octagonal bellcote. South
aisle: plinth, flush-work band, flushwork buttresses with niches and truncated pinnacles.
Tudor-arched 3-light Perpendicular windows. Battlements throughout enriched with carved
shields. South porch of 2 storeys with domed stair turret to west. Flushwork plinth and
diagonal buttresses with niches. Pointed arch, the inner order on responds, with
continuously moulded jambs enriched with shields. Hoodmould surmounted by square
label with encircled quatrefoils and mouchettes in the spandrels. Single-light window to
parvise under square label. Parapet.
North aisle: plinth, flushwork offset buttresses with brattishing. Large 4-light windows with
Perpendicular tracery. Polygonal 3-stage stair turret
to east surmounted by finial, with the mullet device of the De Veres, Lords of the village
manor of Old Hall from 1425. North door: linenfold panelling with central baluster in
continuously moulded surround enriched with niches and shields. Square moulded surround
with outer colonettes and decorated spandrels. Clerestory his 3-light segmental-pointed
windows with Perpendicular tracery. Chancel and Chapels have 3-light windows with
Perpendicular tracery. Diagonal buttresses to chancel and 5-light east window. Embattled
parapets. Interior: nave arcade of 2-centred arches on piers of section four shafts and four
hollows with moulded capitals to shafts. Pointed chancel arch on triple responds.
Original roofs to south aisle and chancel. Nave roof of 1854. Angle corbels to south
chapel, reroofed 1866. Easter Sepulchre with C15 wall painting. Wall monuments to
William Jonar 1636, and to Edward Lambe d.1617 with niche containing kneeling figure
flanked by angels and surmounted by entablature with hatchment and obelisks. Early
C18 marble chest tombs to Chaplin and Parker families in south chapel. Memorials to
Maria Constable, Wife of John Constable, and her grandfather Dr Rhudde.
Pevsner N, Suffolk 2nd Ed 1974 pp 195-196 Paterson T F, East Bergholt in Suffolk, 1923
pp 52-90.
Riches A, Victorian Church Building and Restoration in Suffolk 1982 p 366.
Elam J F, St Mary’s Church East Bergholt 1986.
Archaeology | Heritage | Landscape | Ecology | Visualisations East Bergholt Conservation Area | 6
Table of listed buildings
No. on Map Historic England List
Entry
No.
Name Listing Text
Grade II*
6 1033451 BELLCAGE TO NORTH SIDE OF CHURCHYARD Bellhouse. Probably late C16. Timber-framed on red brick plinth. Plain tile roof. Rectangular on
plan.
Plank and muntin lower wall with open lattice work above. Door to left with long strap hinges.
Overhanging steeply-pitched hipped gableted roof. Interior contains bell frame with five bells,
one dated 1450. Some wall posts jowled. Posts to centre of each wall with knees support tie
beams. Roof of lower level of butt purlins with clasped purlins above. Built to house the bells
after the erection of the west tower of St Mary’s Church (qv) was abandoned. Said to have
been resited from the east side of the church in C18 at the request of Joseph Chaplin of Old
Hall (qv).
Paterson T F, East Bergholt in Suffolk 1923 pp 90-95.
Pevsner N, Suffolk 2nd ed 1974 p 196.
7 1033454 CHURCHGATE HOUSE House, probable former religious guild hall. c1500, later additions to rear and later remodelling
including late C18 – early C19 refronting. C20 single-storey addition to right of no special
interest. Timber-framed on brick plinth with brick front and right gable wall. Roughcast. Plain
tile roof. Left bay originally of 3 jettied storeys with probable lower range to right. Now 2
storeys with single-storey cross range to rear right and 2-storey cross wing to rear left.
Central 6-panel door in pilastered doorcase with frieze and dentilled cornice, panelled reveals
and soffit. 12-pane sashes with thick glazing bars, asymmetrically placed. Wedge lintels. First
floor band. Swept roof. Rear external stack to right with probable former stair projection
under pent roof to right. 2 gabled wings have ridge stacks. Interior: 2 bays, with later
staircase hall inserted into wider left bay which was formerly jettied as indicated by dragon
beam. Fine ceiling with leaf-scroll moulded beams and moulded joists. To gable wall a blocked
pair of 6-light ovolo and cavetto moulded mullion windows flanking large central opening now
blocked with sash window. Brick inglenook with some herringbone and stepped brickwork to
rear wall under mutilated chamfered bressummer. Projection adjacent to inglenook may
indicate position of original newel stair. Staircase hall with early C19 stair with column newels,
stick balusters and carved tread ends. Section of C17 panelling with H hinges.
Studded partition wall to right has central chamfered post with fine carving to jowl
representing demi-angel with shield bearing crown emblem. To rear of partition wall a blocked
Tudor-arched chamfered doorway. Room to right shows reverse of this doorway and has fine
ceiling with leaf-scroll moulded beam with leaf stops and moulded joists. Further blocked Tudor
-arched doorway to right gable end.
First floor: large chamfered jowled central post. Left bay has studded walls and moulded
beams and joists. Dragon beam indicating further jettied storey above, now removed. In the
right bay adjacent to the studded partition wall is a crown post braced front and rear to tie
beam and with further mortice to outer face indicating probable lower range adjoining 3-
storey jettied left bay. Access to roof above right bay not possible at time of resurvey.
Small section of hand painted plaster. Early C19 grates to both rooms. Undergoing renovation
at time of resurvey.
East Bergholt Society Looking at East Bergholt 1981 Text by J Elam.
Archaeology | Heritage | Landscape | Ecology | Visualisations East Bergholt Conservation Area | 7
Table of listed buildings
No. on Map Historic England List
Entry
No.
Name Listing Text
Grade II*
8 1033472 BRIDGE COTTAGE Cottage, now National Trust information centre and shop. Probably late C16 with later
alterations.
Timber-framed, rendered. Red brick stack. Thatched roof. One storey and attic. 3½-bay frame
with lower addition to right. To left a board door and bow window. Central fire window. Further
board door and casement to right. Gabled half dormer to right with casement window forms a
post C18 addition. Central stack. Lower extension to right under hipped roof.
Rear: board door and 2-light window with horizontal glazing bars and further board door to
right with 2-light casement adjoining. 2 gabled half dormers with casement windows. Interior:
chamfered spine beam and cross beams with run -out stops. Jowled posts, wall plates with
some arch braces and wall studding exposed. Collar rafter roof, clasped purlins to part.
II* grading reflects the importance of the cottage as part of the Flatford Mill group and its
significance in the work of John Constable. Undergoing restoration
at time of resurvey.
9 1285872 THE GABLES House. Late C16 with probable early C16 rear wing to hall range and later rear range to cross
wing. C19additions to rear. Renovated 1970s. Timber-framed, part rendered. C19 sections in
painted brick. Plain tile roof. Red brick stacks. Two storeys, attic to front range. Hall with
jettied cross wing to left with attached gabled ranges to rear. C19 extensions in Tudor style.
Front range: close studding. C20 Tudor-arched entrance under hood adjacent to cross wing.
C20 mullion and transom windows with mullioned side lights, largely in original openings
throughout. C20 moulded bressummer to first floor. Cross wing has C20 oriel window with
mullioned side lights.
Jettied first floor with moulded bressummer. Similar first floor window and 5-light mullion
window to jettied gable with moulded bressummer, C19 bargeboards and finial. Swept roof.
Paired octagonal ridge stacks to rear. Left return underbuilt in painted brick. Range to rear of
hall slightly lower. Close studding. Restored mullion windows. Large ridge stack adjacent to
front range with 6 octagonal shafts. Range to rear of cross wing rendered with large C20 stair
window. Interior: front range, moulded beams and exposed joists. Chamfered brick Tudor-
arched fireplace to hall flanked by Tudor-arched doorwlays
to rear wing. Further chamfered basket-arched fireplace to cross wing. Rear wing: inglenook
with chamfered bressummer. Studded walls, moulded beams and joists. Probably inserted
C17 panelling. 5-light ovolo mullion window to original rear wall now backing onto stair hall.
Stair hall range: studded rear wall of cross wing with C20 painted decoration exposed in
stair hall. C20 staircase. First floor: chamfered beams and exposed joists.
Fireplace with painted basket arch with ovolo moulding in chamfered square surround with
stepped stops. Similar fireplace to rear wall of cross wing which has probably inserted C17
panelling with cornice and some strapwork panels. Rear range has C20 replica crown post
roof. Clasped purlin roof with wind braces to front range. Several moulded and studded plank
doors. Small chamfered basket-arched fireplace to attic of cross wing. Extensively
renovated and restored 1970s, the house contains several other imported features
Archaeology | Heritage | Landscape | Ecology | Visualisations East Bergholt Conservation Area | 8
Table of listed buildings
No. on Map Historic England
List Entry
No.
Name Listing Text
Grade II*
11 1286166 CHAPLINS
House. Early C16 with later alterations and additions. Timber-framed with attached range
to right rendered at front, weatherboarded to rear. Rear extensions rendered. Plain tile
roofs. Red brick stacks. Originally open hall with jettied 2-storey cross wing to right,
through passage to left but former service wing to left no longer extant. Single-storey
range to right and 2-storey gabled addition to rear. 2-bay hall and 2-bay cross wing. Close
studding with middle rail. Plank door to left with long strap hinges in Tudor-arched
entrance. 6-light diamond mullion hall window with oriel of probable C19 date inserted
below. Gabled dormer above.
Inserted stack to right of entrance. Cross wing: cross casement with leaded lights.
Brattished middle rail below jetty. Cross casement oriel window above flanked by original
6-light windows with ovolo principal and diamond subsidiary mullions. Studding and down
braces to gable. Swept roof, ridge stack. Interior: through passage contains paired Tudor-
arched, cavetto-moulded service doorways (now blocked) with moulded spandrels. Jamb
of original rear entrance survives. Hall contains inglenook fire-place with bressummer.
Beam above inglenook with merchant’s mark carved in relief. Wall posts to front and rear
have attached chamfered shafts surmounted by short, half-octagonal posts with moulded
capitals. Deep beam with ovolo moulding to outer face, plain stopped chamfer to other
face.
Longitudinal beam with ovolo mouldings, moulded joists. Two C18 corner cupboards with
shaped shelves. Cross wing: framing exposed including wall posts with arch braces to
chamfered beam. Studded
walls. Exposed joists. Remains of wall painting with lattice-work in white containing fleur-
de-lys motif on red background. Further section with white paterae on green background.
Painted rail with frieze above with black foliate design on white back-ground. First floor:
hall range, chamfered jowled posts with large chamfered arch braces forming arch
beneath chamfered, cambered tie beam. Foot of crown post visible, moulded base and
cavetto-moulded post.
Crown post visible in roof space, moulded capital and braces to collar purlin. Further
unmoulded post at junction with cross wing. Wall plate with edge-halved scarf. Moulded
plank door of probable C16 date adjacent to stack. Cross wing; posts to stop-chamfered
tie beam, mortices for missing arch-
braces. 2 crown posts in roof space, unmoulded with braces to collar purlin
Archaeology | Heritage | Landscape | Ecology | Visualisations East Bergholt Conservation Area | 9
Table of listed buildings
No. on Map Historic England List
Entry
No.
Name Listing Text
Grade II*
12 1351932 CLAYCOTTS
House. Early C16, two builds, with further range of c1600. Later alterations and additions
including dovecote range attached to south and C20 addition of no special interest to west.
Restoration of early 1980s. Timber-framed, rendered, part under-built in painted brick, with
red brick stacks and other additions. Dovecote range weatherboarded. Plain tile roofs. Two
storeys, truncated former hall range with slightly higher cross range to right, range of c1600
at right angles to cross wing. Dovecote range adjoins former hall range to left. Entrance
now by C20 range. Former hall (now kitchen) and cross wing: jettied, underbuilt in brick,
carved posts and capitals, that to left of cross wing gable end particularly fine with ‘linenfold’
motif to post and floral motifs to square capital and abacus and arch brace. Foliate scroll to
bressummer of cross wing, moulded to hall range. C20 cross casement
windows, that to cross wing in angle with other range replacing an entrance with C19
doorcase (NMR). Rendering to first floor conceals close studding and blocked 3-light mullion
windows (owner’s photographs). Close studding and collar to cross-wing gable with
bargeboards and finial. Swept roofs. External stack to gable of range to left.
Adjoining dovecote range single-storey with 2-storey central dovecote, original openings to
rear and doveholes and shelves to gable. In angle with later range is brick projection under
pent roof with 3-light brick ovolo mullion window with hoodmould and cogged cornice. Range
of c1600: on plinth, jettied gable end. To ground floor French windows flanked by blocked 3-
light ovolo mullion windows. C20 cross casement to first floor. Close-studding to jettied
gable with bargeboards and finial. Swept roof. To right return a large external off-set stack
(upper part rebuilt). Brick staircase projection under pent roof. Interior: former hall and
cross wing have moulded ceiling beams to ground floor, blocked mullion window to front wall
of kitchen. Later range has plastered brick basket-arched ovolo-moulded fireplace and
studded walls with down braces. Newel spiral stair adjacent to stack somewhat remodelled.
First floor: framing exposed including chamfered jowled posts with arch braces and moulded
beams and joists to earlier ranges. Close studding. Rafter seatings in wall plate at right of
former hall range
apparently indicate hipped roof predating erection of cross wing. Roof rebuilt incorporating
early timbers.
Archaeology | Heritage | Landscape | Ecology | Visualisations East Bergholt Conservation Area | 10
Table of listed buildings
No. on Map Historic England
List Entry
No.
Name Listing Text
Grade II
13 1033415 THE CHEMIST House, now shop. Early C19. Brick, colourwashed. Slate roof. Two storeys, 3 bays with central
breakforward and angle pilasters. Central glazed
door in pilastered surround with pediment on corbels. Large plate glass windows. Sashes with
glazing bars above with sills. End stacks. Interior not inspected.
14 1033416 IVY COTTAGE AND
COTTAGE ADJOINING
TO RIGHT
Pair of cottages, Ivy Cottage now hairdresser’s salon. Late C18 – Early C19. Timber-framed,
rendered. Slate roof. Brick stacks. Two storeys, two first floor windows to each cottage. Ivy
Cottage: central pilastered doorcase with mutule cornice containing half-glazed door. Sashes
with glazing bars and margin lights. Cottage to right: half-glazed central door in pilastered
doorcase with cornice.
Sashes with glazing bars and margin lights. Round-arched through passage to right. Overhanging
roof with corniced stacks. Interior not inspected.
15 1033417 CONSTABLES
(Image EBS)
House. Mid C19. Red brick in Flemish bond. Slate roof. Two storeys, two bays. Central 4-panel
door with overlight in architrave with cornice. 16-pane sashes throughout with cambered
gauged brick arches to ground floor. Overhanging roof, corniced end stacks. Included for group
value. Interior not inspected.
16 1033418 COTTAGE TO NORTH OF THE RED LION Cottage. C18. Timber-framed, plain tile roof. Rebuilt brick stack. Two storeys, three bays.
Central lobby entry. Thin-studded walls with middle rail, straight posts and down braces. C20
door and cross casements. Pointed 2-light casements above. Swept hipped roof and central
stack. Rendering described on earlier list now removed. Interior not inspected.
17 1033419 CHAPEL HOUSE, POST OFFICE & OLD MANSE
Pair of houses and Post Office. Probable C17 core, remodelled early C19. Timber-framed, cased
in white brick with plain tile roof and red brick stacks. 2-storey, 2-window centre range with
gabled cross wings to each side, that to left incorporated into Post Office which is partly housed
in single-storey extension to left of no special interest. To main range, 6-panel doors under
radial fanlights with round arches. 16-pane sashes in reveals with sills.
Cambered brick arches to ground floor and wings. Steeply-pitched roof. Centre stack to main
range and ridge stacks to cross wings. Part undergoing renovation at time of resurvey.
Interior not inspected.
Archaeology | Heritage | Landscape | Ecology | Visualisations East Bergholt Conservation Area | 11
Table of listed buildings
No. on Map Historic England
List Entry
No.
Name Listing Text
Grade II
18 1033420 WEST LODGE COTTAGES Pair of cottages, now one dwelling. Late C18 – early C19. Red brick in Flemish bond. Plain tile
roof. Single storey and attic, 2 bays. Paired central entrances have 6-panel doors in panelled
reveals with architraves under flat gauged brick arches. C20 casements under flat gauged brick
arches. Stepped and dentilled eaves. Mansard roof. Two flat dormers with C20 casements. End
stacks. Interior not inspected
19 1033421 WEST LODGE STABLES Coach-house and stables, now in commercial use. C17 origin with C18 and later alterations and
additions. Red brick in English and Flemish bond. Possible timber-framed core to part. Plain tile
roof. Two storeys. Originally L-shaped, gabled cross wing to rear left now truncated. Front:
brick in Flemish bond. Mainly C20 inserted doors and windows. Roof hipped at right. Right
return is rendered with casement windows with arched lights in similar style to Stour Cottage
(qv). Rear: somewhat rebuilt stack to gable end cross wing. To centre, double plank doors with
long strap hinges under segmental carriage arch. Plank stable door with long L-hinges to right
with pitching door above. Formed service range to Stour House (qv). Undergoing renovation at
time of resurvey. Interior not inspected.
21 1033439 GANDISH HOUSE House. Probable C17 cross wing with former hall range rebuilt early C19. Timber-framed cross
wing, rendered, otherwise painted brick. Plain tile roofs. Rebuilt red brick stack. 2 storeys, 2-
bay cross wing to left. Projecting square entrance porch with panelled door. C19 sashes with
arched lights and casements. Double span roof to right range with ridge stack with 4 detached
octagonal shafts.
Interior: cross range framing concealed. Chamfered beam with bar stops. Clasped purlin roof.
Early C19 interior features include fireplaces and grates, staircase with ramped mahogany
handrail, column newels, stick balusters and carved tread ends.
Cornices. The home of Anne Constable (sister of the artist John Constable) in the early C19, who
is said to have carried out alterations and extensions.
Was the subject of John Constable’s painting
“Gandish Cottage, Suffolk” where the cottage is depicted in winter.
23 1033441 STUARTS House. C16 – C17 with later alterations and additions. Timber-framed, rendered in part, brick
extension to rear. Plain tile roof. Red brick stacks. 2 storeys. Off-centre lobby entry range with
cross wing to right. C20 door and casements. Close studding above middle rail. Swept roof.
Cross wing has large C20 bow replacing a shop front and casement window. External stack to
right return.
24 1033442 CHAPLAINS COTTAGE & GASCOIGNES House, now two dwellings. Probably C17. Timber-framed, rendered. Plain tile roof,
red brick stacks. L-shaped range with gabled range in angle. 2 storeys. 4-bay frame to front
range which has extensive alterations to exterior. C20 porch and large bay to left, two
casement windows. Two casements, fixed light and top opening window to first floor. Off-centre
and end stacks. Large external stack to range in angle. Interior: framing of front range exposed
including beams and joists and studded walls to ground floor. To first floor, jowled posts,
chamfered cambered tie beams with arch braces.
Archaeology | Heritage | Landscape | Ecology | Visualisations East Bergholt Conservation Area | 12
Table of listed buildings
No. on Map Historic England
List Entry
No.
Name Listing Text
Grade II
25 1033443 WISTERIA COTTAGE House. c1830. White brick, creamwashed. Slate roof. 2 storeys 3 bays. Central half-glazed door
in doorcase with patterned jambs, frieze and hood. Panelled reveals and soffit. Sashes with
glazing bars in reveals with sills under cambered wedge lintels. First floor band. Sashes with
glazing bars and similar details above. Blocked central window. Overhanging
hipped roof and later red brick corniced end stacks. Interior not inspected.
26 1033444 THE LAMBE SCHOOL School, now village hall. Founded 1594 by Edward Lambe. Two builds, the earlier section to the
right is probably the original building although much altered, with early C19 range to left.
Restored
1970s. Early section: timber-framed, front and right gable cased in red brick in Flemish bond,
rear weatherboarded. Slate to front roof pitch, plain tiles to rear. One storey, 2 bays of frame.
Sashes with glazing bars in reveals. Present entrance through later range. Roof gableted to left.
External stack to right. 4-light restored diamond mullion window to rear. Later range: white
brick, slate roof. C20 weatherboarded extension to rear. One storey. Four 16-pane sashes in
reveals with sills under shallow pedimented lintels. Angle pilasters. Original entrance to left
gable end. Present entrance by rear extension. Later linking wall to older range. Interior of early
section: exposed framing consisting of ground rail on plinth, studded walls and jowled posts with
mortices for arch braces. Replaced tie beams.
Rebuilt inglenook with chamfered timber bressummer. Studded wall above contains blocked
restored 3-light diamond mullion window. The school was originally endowed by Mistress Lettice
Dykes in 1589, the foundation by Edward Lambe (Lord of the village manor of Illaries) is
recorded by a deed of Sept 25th 1594.
Patterson T F, East Bergholt in Suffolk, 1923 pp 96-113.
27 1033445 FUSCHIA COTTAGE Cottage. Probably C17 with later alterations. Timber-framed, cased in painted brick. Plain tile
roof. Rebuilt red brick stack. Single storey and attic.
Gable end to street. Central lobby-entry. C19 half-glazed door in reveal with architrave flanked by
16-pane sashes in flush architraves. Further C20 window to right. Swept roof, ridge stack. 2 small
-paned casements and band to gable end. Interior not inspected but some framing, beamed
ceiling and inglenook visible.
29 1033447 THE HARE AND HOUNDS Public House. C16 with later alterations and additions. Timber-framed, rendered, part underbuilt
and part cased in painted brick. Plain tile roof.
Single-storey and attic with gabled cross wing to right and later additions to right and rear.
Range to left: cased in brick, 4-panel door to left. Tripartite sash with glazing bars to right. C20
canted bay to left gable end. Cross wing underbuilt in brick. Half-glazed door with C20 casement
to right. 8-pane sash above. Range to right projects and under a catslide roof. Interior: left
range has fine plaster ceiling divided into 4 panels by ovolo-moulded beam and longitudinal
beam with run-out stop. 3 of the panels have scrollwork borders with mythological beasts and a
central square boss flanked by large fleur-de-lys and Tudor roses. The panel adjacent to the
present entrance from the cross wing contains 4 parallel strips of scroll decoration. Ground floor
of cross wing has large chamfered beams with run-out stops. Inglenook fireplace with
bressummer. Original rear wall studded and contains Tudor-arched doorway. To first floor some
framing visible including chamfered jowled post, chamfered tie beam and studded walls.
Archaeology | Heritage | Landscape | Ecology | Visualisations East Bergholt Conservation Area | 13
Table of listed buildings
No. on Map Historic England
List Entry
No.
Name Listing Text
Grade II
31 1033449 THE HERMITAGE House. Probably C16 with C17 and later additions and alterations. Timber-framed, rendered and
partly cased in painted brick. Plain tile roof. Red brick stacks (mainly rebuilt). Central 1½-
storey, lobby-entry range with 2-storey cross wings. Further 2-storeys gabled wing to left. 6-
panel door under gabled porch. Tripartite sashes with arched upper panes. 2 gabled dormers
with unequal sashes and barge-boards. C19 stack. Cross wing to right underbuilt in brick, sash
window with glazing bars under cambered arch. Stepped first floor band.
Unequal sash with glazing bars above. Bargeboards to gable. To right return, sashes with
glazing bars, stack to rear. Left cross wing underbuilt in brick, similar sashes to right wing.
External stack to left of gable end. Stepped first floor band. Jettied gable.
Studding and bargeboards to gable. Gabled wing at left at higher level has 2-storey bay. Interior
not inspected.
32 1033450 HIGH TREES FARMHOUSE House. Open-hall house of c1500 remodelled C18, later alterations and additions including some
interior remodelling of 1932 by Raymond Erith.
Timber-framed, front cased in red brick in Flemish bond, rear underbuilt in brick and rendered
above, gable ends rebuilt in brick. Red brick stacks. Plain tile roof. 2 storeys and attic, 5-bay
frame. Original central open hall, floored over C16. 7 irregular window bays. Off-centre half-
glazed door in C20 timber porch. Sash windows with glazing bars in flush wood architraves
under flat gauged brick arches. One inserted
window with Gothick glazing to right. Steeply-pitched roof. End and off-centre ridge stacks.
Rear: C20 extensions of no special interest. Two C19 sashes with glazing bars and C20
casements. Two gabled dormers with casements. Interior: entrance
hall has moulded ceiling beams and joists. Section of moulded and brattished dais beam exposed
to right.
Remodelled by Erith in C18 style with panelling and staircase. Plaster cornices to ground floor
rooms.
Further stair to rear of stack. Framing exposed in part to first floor including wall plate, jowled
post with hollow chamfer with mortice for arch brace to hollow-chamfered cambered tie beam.
To attic: hall crown post to 4th bay – octagonal post on base with moulded capital, braced to
purlin and collar.
Somewhat damaged due to later partition wall (now removed). Studded partition to left
incorporating unmoulded crown post, beyond this wall the collar purlin is truncated. Unmoulded
crown posts to remaining bays to right.
33 1033452 TOMB TO JOHN LEWIS IN CHURCHYARD OF ST MARY Tomb chest. Late C18. Commemorates John Lewis (d 1777). Red brick with ashlar slab.
Rectangular on plan. Square moulded brick panels flanked by fluted pilasters with moulded
strapwork friezes. Cornice. Slab with inscription now largely illegible.
34 1033453 TOMB TO GOLDING AND ANN CONSTABLE IN CHURCHYARD
OF CHURCH OF ST MARY
Chest tomb. Early C19. Commemorates Golding Constable (d 1816) and his wife Ann (d 1815).
Ashlar. On low splayed plinth with shallow pedimented cover bearing inscriptions to Golding and
Ann. Inscriptions to other later members of the family to sides. Golding and Ann Constable were
the parents of John Constable. The tomb was originally surrounded by railings.
Drawing by John Constable reproduced in Elam, J F,
St Mary’s Church, East Bergholt 1986.
Archaeology | Heritage | Landscape | Ecology | Visualisations East Bergholt Conservation Area | 14
Table of listed buildings
No. on Map Historic England
List Entry
No.
Name Listing Text
Grade II
35 1033455 RECTORY HILL COTTAGE NUMBERS 1 AND 2 AND ST MARYS
COTTAGE
Range of cottages. Rectory Hill and St Mary’s Cottage probably C16 with later alterations and
additions. Nos 1 and 2 probably early C19 replacing earlier structure. Timber-framed, rendered.
Part underbuilt in painted brick and brick additions. Plain
tile roof. Red brick stacks. U-shaped group, Rectory Hill Cottage stands gable end to street with
range to right forming Nos 1 and 2, except for the end bay to right which now forms part of St
Mary’s Cottage which occupies a rear cross range. Later additions to rear of cross ranges. Two
storeys, attic to Rectory Hill Cottage. Rectory Hill Cottage: 4-bay frame, underbuilt in brick.
Canted bay under tiled roof containing small-paned casements. 3-light small-paned casement
above and 4-pane sash to gable.
Steeply-pitched swept roof. Stack to rear gable, now incorporated into later range. Left return
has central half-glazed door with C20 bay window to left and unequal sash with glazing bars to
right. 8-pane sashes above. Nos 1 and 2: half-glazed doors under bracketed tiled porch. Horned
sashes with glazing bars. First floor string course. Two ridge stacks. St Mary’s Cottage: 2-bay
frame. Right return has C20 door in porch and C20 other openings. Rear extension of probable
C17 date. Interior: Rectory Hill Cottage shows some framing including jowled posts and
studded wall to first floor. First floor front wall has pair of blocked 6-light windows with ovolo
principal mullions and diamond subsidiary mullions flanking C20 window. Clasped purlin roof. St
Mary’s Cottage: exposed framing. Originally jettied to rear. Inglenook fireplace with stop-
chamfered bressummer. Studded walls. 2 -light blocked window to jettied wall showing section
of ovolo and cavetto chamfered mullion. Spiral newel stair adjacent to stack. First floor:
fireplace with chamfered elliptical arch. Jowled posts with down braces and studded walls with
extensive surviving wall painting. Strap-work and floral motifs in red and blue surmounted by a
frieze with hatchments, scrollwork and figures in Renaissance style in black on a white
background.
36 1033456 GISSINGS House. Late C16 – early C17, two builds, with later alterations including early C19 refronting.
Timber-framed, rendered. White brick front. Plain tile roof.L-shaped plan with cross wing at rear
left. 2 storeys.
Front range of 3 bays with jetty to right gable end. Rear wing 4-frame bays. Front range.
Pilasters define bays. Half-glazed double leaf doors to centre in architrave with pediment
supported on consoles. 16-pane sashes in reveals under wedge lintels.
Unequal sashes to first floor. Off-centre ridge stack. Left gable end has 12-pane sashes and
bargeboards. To rear a C19 shallow addition under pent roof.
Cross range: gabled porch in angle with front range contains half-glazed door. 16-pane sash
window to centre and garage doors and fixed window to left. Three C20 casements above. Large
ridge stack adjacent to front wing. Rear, oval plaque with plasterers date 1708. Interior: C19
features include staircase to central hall with short twisted balusters. Kitchen, to right, shows a
chamfered post, deep chamfered beam and exposed joists. Further steep staircase behind stack.
Further framing exposed to first floor including massive chamfered jowled post with arch brace,
cambered tie beam. Studded walls and two 4-light blocked diamond mullion windows. Wall plate
with edge-halved scarf joint and chamfered beam with lambs tongue stop. Rear range: 4 -bay
frame with jowled posts. Clasped purlin roof with assembly numbers and wind braces.
Archaeology | Heritage | Landscape | Ecology | Visualisations East Bergholt Conservation Area | 15
Table of listed buildings
No. on Map Historic England
List Entry
No.
Name Listing Text
Grade II
37 1033457 THE OLD RECTORY Rectory, now house. 1714 with additional wing of 1820s. Red brick in Flemish bond, front
rendered, rear painted. Slate roof to front, plain tiles to rear. Two storeys, attic and basement.
4 bays with lower range of 1820 to left. Steps to off-centre original entrance (present entrance
to rear). 12-pane sashes. Parapet. M-shaped roof with gabled dormer windows. Rear: later
porch containing half-glazed door. 12-pane sashes (some with thick glazing bars) in flush
architraves under flat gauged brick arches. Eaves band and parapet. Gabled dormers with
sashes. Later wing: 12-pane sashes in reveals under segmental arches. Interior: entrance hall
has paired arches to staircase with pilasters supporting keyed archivolts. Closed-string stair
(possibly somewhat remodelled) with column-on-vase balusters with square knops. Column
newels and ramped moulded handrail. Newels have square pendants with finials. Dado panelling
with pilasters follows line of stair. Other features include a good carved chimneypiece to the
drawing room, another to the entrance hall, 6-panel doors in architraves and cornices. The
home of Dr Rhudde, grandfather of
Maria Bicknell, wife of John Constable.
38 1033458 THE OLD HALL House, including former service range to north, now divided into dwelling units. Range of 1713
(on rainwater head) with later C18 – C20 additions and alterations. Slid C19 conventual ranges
and chapel not of special interest. Service range probably C17. 1713 house for Joseph Chaplain.
White brick with red brick dressings.Red brick later C18 addition, part lime washed. Plain tile
and slate roofs. 1713 range of 3 storeys, 7 bays with single-storey C18 addition to south, raised
to 3 storeys early C20, 2-storey C18 range to north, raised to 3 storeys C19. Extensive
conventual buildings to north incorporating earlier service range. 1713 house, west front: outer
bays recessed. Plinth, quoins. Later Ionic porch with dentilled pediment. 6-panel door with
patterned fanlight in panelled reveal. 18-pane sashes in architraves with aprons. Gauged brick
flat arches and jambs in red brick. Floor bands. Similar first floor windows and 12-pane sashes
to second floor. Moulded cornice and parapet. Recessed bays to each side with similar detailing,
that to right has rainwater tread dated 1713 JCM. East front: 5-bay range with 6th bay brought
forward at right, similar detailing to west front but no porch. Library range to left originally
single-storey has 3 tall 15-pane sashes with cambered gauged brick arches. C20 addition above,
bowed front to south altered and raised at the same time. To right, an originally 2-storey range
with sashes with glazing bars, some replaced by casements. Second floor band with later
addition above. Interior: 1713 range has staircase hall with panelling retaining fine dogleg stair-
case with 3 twisted balusters per tread, carved tread ends, Corinthian newels and ramped
moulded handrail.
Panelled dado follows line of stair. Staircase window in pedimented surround. First floor has two
fully panelled rooms with original doors and window shutters. Remains of original panelling
elsewhere with dentilled cornices and doorcases. Library range retains decorative scheme with
dentil andmodillion cornice and plasterwork ceiling. Service range to north: C19 encasingof
earlier timber-framed structure which may relate to the original hall; red brick in Flemish bond
with plain tile roof; sashes with flat gauged brick arches, (some later windows);
iron tie bar ends; hipped roof. Interior much altered, but shows remains of frame with stout
scantlings. Posts with large chamfered knees with iron bolts, one tie beam and other beams.
Double span roof of butt purlin construction, much altered, with former window concealed
beneath present roof. Old Hall was the principal manor of East Bergholt. It was acquired in
1701 by Joseph Chaplain, wine cooper and High Sheriff of Suffolk, who built the house to
replace an earlier structure. The painting of the house by John Constable was commissioned by
the owner, John Reade, in 1801. The house became a Benedictine nunnery in 1856, at which
time the conventual ranges were added.
‘An Unknown Constable’ The Connoisseur Dec 1956 p 249.
Archaeology | Heritage | Landscape | Ecology | Visualisations East Bergholt Conservation Area | 16
Table of listed buildings
No. on Map Historic England
List Entry
No.
Name Listing Text
Grade II
40 1033469 THE HAYWAIN Cottage, now shop and cafe. Probably C17 with C18 and later alterations. Timber-framed, rough
rendered. Front cased in brick. Plain tile roof. One storey and attic. Central C20 shop front, with
further shop window to left and plank door and casement to window to right. Attic jettied to left.
3 flat dormers. Off-centre ridge stack and later stack to left end. Rear cross range with dentilled
eaves. Former list recorded plasterer’s date of 1780 with the initials C and S S. Included for
group value.
41 1033470 GABLE COTTAGE & PEACH COTTAGE House, now 2 dwellings. C16 with later alterations and C19 addition. Timber-framed, rendered,
part underbuilt in brick. Brick C19 range. Plain tile roof. L-shaped with main range (Peach
Cottage) gable end to street with cross wing to left, with projecting single-storey C19 addition.
2 storeys. Main range: jettied front. Off-centre C20 door and casements. End and ridge stacks.
Interior: chamfered beam and exposed joists. Blocked 3-light diamond mullion window. Jowled
post with arch brace to tie-beam.
42 1033471 THE TOWN HOUSE Burnt Oak Cottages on OS Map. Range of cottages. 3 builds. Early C16 range to Flatford Road,
later C16 range to Main Road with probable C17 addition to right. Later alterations. Timber-
framed, rendered.
Plain tile roof. Red brick stacks. 2 storeys, L-plan. Flatford Road front: 4 1st floor windows. Two
C20 doors, small-paned casements. Steeply-pitched hipped roof. To Main Road: 5 1st floor
windows, irregularly spaced. Range to left is jettied to rear. Steeply-pitched roof. Range to right
is slightly lower with lobby-entry plan with half-glazed door and further entrance in gabled
porch to gable end.
Interior: Flatford Road range: chamfered beams and exposed joists. No 2 shows jowled posts,
cambered tie-beam. Unmoulded crown post with mortice for missing brace to collar purlin with
splayed scarf. Roof not fully inspected. In 1654 this building was bought by the Parish
Overseers for housing paupers.
East Bergholt Society, East Bergholt 1981, Text J Elam.
43 1193464 RICHARDSONS FARMHOUSE Farmhouse. Probably late C16 – C17 with later alterations and additions. Timber-framed. Plain
tile roof. Red brick stack. 2 storeys, 4-window front. Off-centre door in C20 porch. C20 cross
windows. Thin timber-framing with long straight braces. Outshut under pent roof to left. Hipped
roof ridge stack.
Interior: hollow chamfered beams and moulded joists with run-out stops. Bressummer with roll-
moulding.
Archaeology | Heritage | Landscape | Ecology | Visualisations East Bergholt Conservation Area | 17
Table of listed buildings
No. on Map Historic England
List Entry
No.
Name Listing Text
Grade II
44 1193465 ST MARTINS House. c1830. Red brick with white brick front. Slate roof. 2 storeys, 3 bays with further ranges
set back at rear. Slight central breakforward and anglepilasters. Central 4-panel door with
overlight in pilastered doorcase with cornice. Tripartite sashes with glazing bars under patterned
lintels with anthemion motifs. Sashes with glazing bars above.
Overhanging hipped roof. Interior not inspected.
45 1193473 GASTON HOUSE INCLUDING FRONT GARDEN RAILINGS AND
GATE
House with railings and gate. c1840. House: timber-framed and brick, rendered. Plain tile roof,
red brick stacks. Tudor style. 2 storeys and basement. Central range flanked by cross wings.
Centre range: to left steps to gabled porch containing half-glazed door with Tudor-arched
entrance under hoodmould.
Mullion windows with pointed lights under hoodmoulds. Left wing gable end has crenellated
square bay with mullions and transom window with pointed lights. Similar 2-light window above
under hoodmould. External stack and a single casement window to gable end of right wing.
Bargeboards and eaves course. Octagonal stacks. Iron railings and gate with white brick wall and
piers. Railings and gate with Gothic motifs on dwarf wall with polygonal piers. Interior not
inspected.
46 1193497 THROWERS House. Late C18 – early C19. Timber-framed, rendered. Plain tile roof. One storey and attic.
Central door with 2 upper panels glazed in doorcase with attached reeded columns, frieze and
dentilled hood. 4-pane sashes in flush architraves. Flat
dormers with 4-pane sashes. Mansard roof, red brick end stacks. Interior not inspected.
49 1193768 BLACKSMITHS COTTAGE House. Probably late C16-C17 with later alterations and additions. Timber-framed, rendered.
Plain tile roof, red brick stack. Single storey and attic. Off-centre lobby entry. Vertical panel door.
16-pane sashes, that to right a replacement of c1985. Gabled
dormer with 16-pane sash. Tall ridge stack. Interior: studded walls. Chamfered beams, some
with tongue stops and exposed joists. Room to left has fireplace with elliptical arch under
hoodmould in moulded orange brick. Newel spiral stair behind stack. Former kitchen to right has
inglenook with timber bressummer. Clasped purlin roof. Undergoing renovation at time of
resurvey.
Archaeology | Heritage | Landscape | Ecology | Visualisations East Bergholt Conservation Area | 18
Table of listed buildings
No. on Map Historic England List
Entry
No.
Name Listing Text
Grade II
50 1193779 THE LINNETS House. Probably late C16-C17 with later alterations and additions. Timber-framed, partly
underbuilt/cased in red brick in Flemish bond. Part rendered. Plain tile roofs. Red brick stacks.
Range gable end to street. 2 storeys, 2-bay frame. Single-storey and attic range to left of
single bay with later, lower extension at left. Single-storey and attic range front cased in brick,
door under soldier arch to right. C20 casement to left. Gabled dormer above end ridge stack. 2
storey range: ground floor and first floor of gable end cased in brick. C20 casements.
External stacks to gable ends. Swept roof. Interior: studded wall with jowled post. Beam with
tongue stop. Inglenook fireplace to single storey range.
Reputed former service range of High Trees Farmhouse (qv). Included for group value.
51 1193884 TOMB TO JOHN DUNTHORNE IN CHURCHYARD OF
CHURCH OF ST MARY
Tomb chest. Early C19. Commemorates John Dunthorne and his son of the same name. Ashlar.
Rectangular on plan. To long sides, pair of basket- arched panels with carved spandrels divided
by narrow round-arched panels. To roadside, panels contain inscriptions. Cornice and domed
cover. Probably erected by John Dunthorne with assistance from his friend John Constable in
memory of his son.
52 1193939 PAIR OF TOMBS TO REVANS FAMILY IN CHURCHYARD OF
CHURCH OF ST MARY
Pair of tombs. Early and mid C19. Commemorates James and Sarah Revans and their son and
daughter of the same names. Ashlar. Pair of sarchophagi with head stones and low slabs at
feet. James Revans d1823. Sarah Revans d 1844. Sarah daughter of above d 1843, James son
of above d 1848. The Revans family were closely associated with the Constable family, James
Revans senior being the Steward of Golding Constable and this relationship is reflected in the
close proximity of the family tombs.
53 1193966 OLD CHAPEL HOUSE House. C16 origins, C18 alterations, refronting of 1818 and C20 extension to left. Timber-
framed, rendered, partly cased in painted brick. White brick front. Plain tile roof. 2 storeys, 3-
bay front with C20 extension of one bay recessed at left. Angle pilasters. Off-centre 6-panel
door in pilastered doorcase with panelled reveals and soffit. Radial fanlight with keyed
elliptical archivolt. 12-pane sashes in reveals, painted sills, cambered cement arches. Narrow
8-pane sash to right of door.
Parapet. Roof hipped at front. Corniced ridge stacks. C20 extension to left return with flush 12-
pane sashes. Interior: entrance hall withchamfered beam and exposed joists, dragon beam at
left indicates former jetty. Room to right of door shows beam and joists with hollow chamfers
and pyramid stops, kitchen to rear, chamfered beam, exposed joists, studded walls, one with
reused moulded joists. Moulded beams to drawing room which also has early C19 features
including Adam style fireplace and door architrave. 6-panel doors. Staircase, treads replaced,
closed-string, fluted column-on-twist balusters. Fluted square newels with turned and fluted
newels to first floor. Arched string above stair at first floor level. Moulded ramped handrail.
Panelled dado with fluted pilasters follows line of stair. First floor: bathroom with inscribed
date 1776. Beams with deep roll mouldings separated by hollow chamfers. Small section
linenfold panelling. Bedroom to right shows studded wall, moulded front wall plate and section
of moulded cambered tie beam.
East Bergholt Society, Looking at East Bergholt 1981. Text by J Elam.
Archaeology | Heritage | Landscape | Ecology | Visualisations East Bergholt Conservation Area | 19
Table of listed buildings
No. on Map Historic England List
Entry
No.
Name Listing Text
Grade II
54 1193984 WHITE HOUSE House. Early – mid C19. White brick. Slate roof. Two storeys, 5 bays. Central recessed Doric
porch containing double-leaf doors. French windows to ground floor under painted lintels.
Pilaster strips define bays. First floor band, 4-pane sashes with side lights with sills under
painted lintels to first floor. Over-hanging hipped roof. Interior not inspected.
55 1193992 COACH HOUSE TO THE OLD RECTORY Coach-house. C18. Timber-framed, weatherboarded. Plain tile roof. One storey and loft. Pointed
studded door with diamond panels and long strap hinges.
Casement with single opening light. Hipped gableted roof. Said to appear in painting by John
Constable of Old Rectory. Included for group value.
56 1194049 HATTERS & THE OLD HOUSE
Two cottages. Two builds, probably C18 and early C19. Timber-framed, Hatters rendered,
whitewashed brick to Old House. Plain tile roof. Brick stack.
Single-storey and attic. Hatters: 3-cell plan. Shop window with glazing bars and half-glazed
door to left, 2 casements with shutters to right flanking painted inscription ‘DEALER IN
HATTS’. Large, off-centre ridge stack to right. Mansard roof. The Old House: shop window with
glazing bars and door to left. Mansard roof. Under-going renovation at time of resurvey.
Interior not inspected.
57 1194064 THE COURT Coach-house and stable block, now cottages. C18 with additions and conversion to cottages
early – mid C19. Red brick in Flemish bond. Plain tile roof. One storey and attic. L-plan. Range
to left: off-centre pilastered and pedimented doorcase to through passage of which the left
wall has been reconstructed in C20 brick. To left a blocked cambered gauged brick arch with
inserted glazed door in pilastered surround and a casement window. To right two flat gauged
brick arches of blocked entrances with inserted casement windows. Cross
wing to right: 2 builds. Left side a C20 door in trellis porch flanked by a C20 pane sash under a
cambered gauged brick arch to right and by a fixed window with glazing bars under a
segmental arch to left. Small casements with glazing bars above. To right a C19 addition with
6-panel door in trellis porch with a 16-pane sash under a segmental arch. Further addition to
right. Dentilled eaves throughout. Roof hipped at left. Interior not inspected.
Archaeology | Heritage | Landscape | Ecology | Visualisations East Bergholt Conservation Area | 20
Table of listed buildings
No. on Map Historic England List
Entry
No.
Name Listing Text
Grade II
58 1194077 RAILINGS AND GATES TO FRONT GARDENS OF
CONSTABLES AND FIVE FIRS
Railings and gates. Late C18. Cast iron and red brick. Dwarf wall supporting railings with
spearhead standards, arrowhead bars and dogbars. Bottom rail with quatrefoil motif. Matching
double gates to left and single gate to Constables. Formed the railings to the Constable family
house built late 1770s and
demolished C19. Included for group value.
59 1194113 THE RED LION Public House. Probable C17 origins with later alterations and additions. Timber-framed,
rendered with colourwashed brick front and stacks. Plain tile roof. Two storeys, three window
front with single-storey projecting addition to left of entrance. Single-storey gabled cross wing
to rear left and 2-storey gabled cross wing to rear right. Off-centre entrance under segmental
arch. 4-light cross casement window to right under segmental arch. Canted projecting bay to
left, tripartite sash with glazing bars to front and 16-pane sashes to sides. To first floor, three
C20 cross casements. Cornice. Swept roof with three gabled dormers with casements. End
stack to right, later stack rising through front roof pitch to left. Rear: single-storey wing under
steeply-pitched roof. Gabled dormer to main range. 2-storey wing with large ridge stack and
addition under pent roof.
60 1194133 MOSS COTTAGE Cottage. Probably C17 restored C20. Timber-framed, rendered, part underbuilt in brick. Plain
tile roof. Red brick stack. Single storey and attic. Gable end to road underbuilt in painted brick
has C20 windows, 3-light to ground floor, 2-light above. Right return has 2 C20 doors. Half-
hipped mansard roof with central stack. Used as a studio by the young John Constable.
Restored by the East Bergholt Society.
Interior not inspected.
Archaeology | Heritage | Landscape | Ecology | Visualisations East Bergholt Conservation Area | 21
Table of listed buildings
No. on Map Historic England List
Entry
No.
Name Listing Text
Grade II
61 1194143 BARCLAYS BANK & BEAUFORT COTTAGE Cottage incorporating bank premises to rear wing. Early C19 with probable C17 rear wing.
Timber-framed, rendered, rear range, part cased/underbuilt in whitewashed brick. Plain tile
roof. Front range whitewashed brick with slate roof. 2 storeys, 3 bays with 2-storey rear wing
gable end to street. Front range (Beaufort Cottage): central 6-panel door in doorcase with
fluted pilasters, frieze with roundels above pilasters and cornice. Panelled reveals.
Flanked by canted bays with sashes with glazing bars with cornices. Unequal sashes with
glazing bars and sills above. Hipped roof, end stacks. Rear range (Barclays Bank): to gable
end C20 door to left and C20 casement windows. Steeply -pitched roof.
Interior not inspected.
62 1194193 STOUR Large house. C13 with C19 and C20 additions and alterations. Red brick in Flemish bond.
Slate roof. Three storeys, the upper floor possibly being an addition. Garden front: full-height
3-window canted bays flank 3-bay centre. Central Ionic doorcase with entablature contains
glazed door. Further glazed doors to canted bays flanked by 15-pane sashes.
Otherwise 12-pane sashes in reveals with sills under cambered gauged brick arches. Moulded
second floor band. Cornice. Hipped roof. Road front: 7 bays, later range adjoins at right.
Central square projecting Doric porch with double leaf doors, of probable C20 date. Sashes
with glazing bars under cambered gauged brick arches. Interior: dining room retains wall
panelling, eared bolection-moulded fireplace, 6-panel doors and panelled shutters.
Central staircase hall, originally 2 rooms, retains some wall panelling. Somewhat remodelled,
cut- string staircase with 3 barleysugar-on-vase balusters per tread, fluted Corinthian newels,
ramped handrail and carved tread-ends. Panelled dado follows line of stair. Drawing room to
south, originally 2 rooms has some wall panelling and carved pine eared fireplaces. To first
floor, one fully-panelled room with 2-panel doors with L-hinges and several other rooms with
original cornices. Known originally as West Lodge, this house was renamed Stour by Randolph
Churchill, who lived here 1954 to his death in 1968. The house may be seen in East Bergholt
Fair of 1811 by John Constable.
65 1221606 K6 TELEPHONE KIOSK BY THE RED LION PUBLIC HOUSE Telephone kiosk. type K6. Designed 1935 by Sir Giles Gilbert Scott. Made by various
contractors. Cast iron. Square kiosk with domed roof.
Unperforated crowns to top panels and margin glazing to window and door.
Archaeology | Heritage | Landscape | Ecology | Visualisations East Bergholt Conservation Area | 22
Table of listed buildings
No. on Map Historic England List
Entry
No.
Name Listing Text
Grade II
67 1285819 STOUR COTTAGE
Cottage. Probable C17 core, refronted late C18 – early C19. Timber-framed, with brick front,
rendered. Plain tile roof. Brick stack. Two storeys, 3-bay front. Central entrance under ogee
arch flanked by pointed 3-light casements with Gothick glazing.
2-light pointed casements above. Steeply-pitched roof. Section of wall containing arched
entrance links with West Lodge stables (qv) to left. Rear: catslide roof. Single-storey range with
large ridge stack.
Interior not inspected.
68 1285875 WREN COTTAGE Cottage. Late C18 with earlier origins, C17 rear range. Timber-framed part cased in brick,
rendered. Plain tile roof. Two storeys, 3 bays. Central half-glazed door in pilastered surround
with entablature. 6-pane sashes in flush wood architraves. Stepped eaves course. End stacks.
Rear range single-storey and attic with C20 casements and rebuilt ridge stack. Interior:
framing of rear range exposed, studded walls, chamfered longitudinal beam with plain stop
and exposed joists. Inglenook fireplace. Clasped purlin roof.
69 1285896 DAIRY FARM COTTAGES Two cottages. C16-C17. Timber-framed, rendered, part underbuilt in painted brick. Plain tile
roof. Red brick stack. Two storeys. Two first floor windows. Door to end right, present
entrances to rear. C20 casements. Centre ridge stack. Steeply-pitched swept roof. Interior of
cottage to right, framing mainly concealed, one large chamfered beam, moulded beam of C16
form and some moulded joists, otherwise interior not inspected.
70 1286029 QUINTONS COTTAGE Cottage. Probably C17. Timber-framed core. Cased in brick in English bond. Walls partly
rendered. Plain tile roof. Brick stack. One storey, two cells. Half-glazed off-centre door under
soldier arch flanked by 2-light casements. Iron tie-bar end. Steeply-pitched roof. External
stack to right gable end. Interior not inspected.
Archaeology | Heritage | Landscape | Ecology | Visualisations East Bergholt Conservation Area | 23
Table of listed buildings
No. on Map Historic England List
Entry
No.
Name Listing Text
Grade II
72 1286137 COMMANDREE, LITTLE GOTHICS & THE GOTHICS House with additional ranges, now forming 3 dwellings. Late C15 house with probable C17
additions and mid C19 remodelling. Timber-framed, rendered. Plain tiles, red brick stacks.
Original house had open hall range with jettied cross wing to left and service wing to right.
Projecting added cross wing to each side, that to right of 2 builds. Further additions to right
and rear. Mid C19 remodelling in Tudor style. 2 storeys, except for former hall range which is
now one storey and attic. C15 range: internal evidence for original cross passage entry to
right, remodelled to form lobby-entry to left adjacent to jettied wing. C20 door. C19 mullion
and transom windows throughout, square bay to ground floor of jettied wing. 2 gabled
dormers. Upper part of ridge stack rebuilt. Gabled added cross wings are jettied to front and
have similar detailing.
Bargeboards to gables. Rear section of right wing has mansard roof. Interior: Little Gothics
now occupies the hall range and ground floor of service range to right. Framing exposed
including studded walls. Original cross passage doors and paired service doors (one renewed)
with chamfered Tudor arches. C16 ceiling with moulded beams with leaf stops and moulded
joists. Inglenook, somewhat remodelled, with chamfered bressummer. Section of inserted C17
panelling. Kitchen in former service range retains cross beam with mortices for original
partition wall. Attic: the hall crown post and tie beam have been renewed but a C20 post has
been inserted to support the original capital and braces which survive together with the rest of
the roof. Front wall plate shows diamond mortices and shutter groove of original hall window.
Interior of The Gothics not inspected.
73 1351909 THE KINGS HEAD Public House. Probably C17 with later alterations and additions. Timber-framed, cased in
painted brick.
Red brick stack. Plain tile roof. 2 storeys with single storey stable range to left and addition
under pent roof to right. 3 bays. Central lobby entry. Half-glazed door, 3-light casements,
segmental arches to ground floor, first floor band. Central ridge stack.
Interior: little framing exposed. Chamfered beams. C18 corner cupboard with raised and fielded
panelling to doors, keyed round arch on pilasters and shell hood and shaped shelves.
75 1351933 COTTAGES TO EAST OF YEW TREE COTTAGES House, now two cottages. C17-C18. Timber-framed, brick fronted, rendered. Plain tile roof, red
brick stacks. 2 storeys, 2 bays. Paired plank doors to centre with C20 pane sashes to sides
and above. Iron tie bar ends. External end stacks. Single-storey ranges to each side under
pent roofs. Interior not inspected.
76 1351934 CARRIERS ARMS Public House. Probably early C15 with later alterations and additions. Timber-framed,
rendered. Plain tiles, red brick stacks. Single-storey and attic. Original open hall converted to
off-centre lobby-entry plan. This entrance indicated by plain doorcase now containing cross
window. Present entrance by low brick addition at left. C20 cross casements.
Canted bay to left. Centre Say projects slightly and is surmounted by a gabled dormer. Swept
gableted roof. Large ridge stack and further external stack to end left. Low extension under
pent roof at right. Late C18 – C19 range incorporated to rear left under mansard roof. C20
extension to rear. Interior: C16 moulded beams. Framing exposed at attic level, jowled
chamfered posts, centre bay shows long arch brace to cambered tie beam and base of
square, chamfered crown post. To front wall of centre bay the wall plate has diamond
mortices and shutter groove of former hall window. Crown post roof, not fully inspected but
those posts visible unmoulded with braces to purlin and collars, some missing.
Archaeology | Heritage | Landscape | Ecology | Visualisations East Bergholt Conservation Area | 24
Table of listed buildings
No. on Map Historic England List
Entry
No.
Name Listing Text
Grade II
77 1351935 TUFFNELLS INCLUDING GATEPIERS TO FRONT GARDEN House. C17 with later alterations and additions. Timber-framed, rendered. Refronted in
painted brick. Plain tile roof. Red brick stack. 2 storeys, five first floor windows. Off-centre
lobby entry. Square projecting brick porch with keyed archivolt containing glazed double
doors. Canted bay with cross windows to left. 2-light mullion window and one cross window
to right. Unequal sashes above and blind panel above porch under wedge lintels.
One gabled dormer. Swept roof with ridge stack. Rear wing to right with mansard roof.
Interior: entrance hall has chamfered beam with tongue stop and moulded joists. Little
framing visible except Front and rear wall plates. Staircase with twisted balusters of probable
C19 date. Pair of C19 red brick gatepiers with moulded cornices and stone ball finials to front
garden.
78 1351936 SHORT ACRE House. Early – mid C19. Brick,whitewashed. Slate roof. 2 storeys. 3-bay section to right with
central entrance. 4-panel door with patterned overlight. Pilastered doorcase with hood on
consoles and paterae in the frieze. 30-pane sashes with shutters. Unequal sashes with glazing
bars to first floor.
Section to left has half-glazed door with overlight and casement windows. Low extension
under catslide roof to left. Roof hipped to left. Interior not inspected.
79 1351937 TUDOR COTTAGE House. C16 – C17 with cross wing reconstructed early C20. Later alterations including
rebuilding of right gable end wall and addition of porch. Timber-framed, part underbuilt or
infilled with brick, part rendered. Plain tile roof. Red brick stacks. 2 storeys.
L-plan with jettied cross wing. Close-studding, arched down brace above middle rail to right.
Reused timber to cross wing. C20 casements. C20 porch to left return. Steeply-pitched swept
roofs. Rebuilt chimney with paired diamond stacks to cross wing and further stack to rear.
Interior: rear range has inglenook with bressummer. Chamfered beams. Blocked 4 -light
diamond mullion window to first floor. Jowled posts and studded rear wall. Stepped
range brick stack. Clasped-purlin roof with wind braces. Included for group value.
81 1351939 QUINTONS HOUSE House. Probably late C16 with C17 rear cross wing.
Timber-framed, rendered. Part underbuilt in brick. Plain tile roof. Red brick stacks. Two
storeys. Front range:5-bay frame of unusual width. Gable end to road. Off-centre plank door
flanked by casement windows under timber lintel. 20-pane flush sash and small fire window to
left, further casement window to right. To first floor, single-light fire window and one
casement. Steeply-pitched roof and large ridge stack. C19 low brick extension to right gable
end which is underbuilt in brick and has rebuilt external stack. Left gable end has flush sash
window with glazing bars to left otherwise C20 window. Rear wing underbuilt in brick, studded
above on right return, external stack to gable.
INTERIOR: much framing exposed. Ground floor shows studded walls. Room to left of stack
has Tudor-arched fireplace, cross beam with tongue stop and exposed joists. Kitchen to right
has cambered bressummer with jewel stop. Corner cupboard with raised and fielded panelling
and cornice. First floor: centre bay shows massive jowled posts with long wavey arch braces
to cambered tie beam. Studded partition wall. To rear wall evidence of wide arch of uncertain
purpose. Edge-halved scarf to rear wall plate. Large stepped stack. Blocked 4-light diamond
mullion window. Bedroom fireplace with chamfered elliptical arch. Moulded plank door of
probable C16 date. Roof: two levels butt purlins. Rear wing has
jowled posts with arch braces to chamfered tie beams and studded walls.
Archaeology | Heritage | Landscape | Ecology | Visualisations East Bergholt Conservation Area | 25
Table of listed buildings
No. on Map Historic England List
Entry
No.
Name Listing Text
Grade II
82 1351940 BLACKSMITHS COTTAGE Smithy. C16 origin, later alterations. Timber-framed, part cased in brick and part
weatherboarded. Pantile roof. Brick stack. Single storey, 2 bays. Stable door to left, multi-
paned window to centre and 16-pane sash to right. Dentilled eaves to part. Extended to
right. Interior: studded walls, pair of jowled posts with arch braces to cambered tie beam
supporting unmoulded crown post with braces to purlin. In use as working Smithy at time of
resurvey.
83 1351948 OAK COTTAGE Cottage. Probably C17 with C18 and later alterations. Timber-framed, rendered. Painted brick
front in Flemish Bond. Plain tile roof. One storey and attic. 2-cell plan. Central 4-panel door in
pilastered doorcase with dentilled frieze and cornice. 8-pane sash under segmental arch to
right, 6-pane window in pilastered former shop window with cornice to left. Jettied to right,
probably to form access to rear. Half-hipped mansard roof. 2 flat dormers with
casements. Low brick range with later stack to rear. Interior not inspected.
84 1351960 FOUNTAIN HOUSE House and cottage, now restaurant. 3 builds, central section C16 with probable C17 section to
left and C18 cottage to right. Timber-framed, rendered. Plain tile roof, red brick stack. Two
storeys and attic with single-storey cottage projecting to right gable end to
street. Section to left has 3-light windows with central casements. Jettied central range has
2½-bay frame. Porch to left with elliptical arch and 6-panel door. 3-light window with central
casement and 16-pane sash to right. Added porch to right. Three first floor casements. Gabled
dormer, off-centre ridge stack to right and roof gableted to right. Cottage has C19 door and
window with glazing bars to gable end. Interior: jettied range shows jowled posts, chamfered
tie beams with arch braces, wall plates and studding. Central half-bay contains large stepped
stack. Chamfered spine beam and exposed joists to ground floor. Chamfered beams with run –
out stops. Rebuilt inglenook retains Tudor-arched bressummer to rear. The cottage was the
home of John Dunthorne, village plumber and artist companion of John Constable.
85 1351961 LITTLE COURT INCLUDING RAILINGS AND GATE TO
FRONT GARDEN
House, including railings and gate. House: C18 remodelling and refronting of C16-C17 core.
Timber-framed, rendered, refronted in red brick in Flemish bond. Plain tile roof. Front range
two storeys and attic, 7 bays 2:3:2. Gabled cross wings to rear.
Central 6-panel door in pedimented doorcase with consoles. Sashes with glazing bars in
reveals with sills under cambered gauged brick arches. Eaves band and parapet. Flat-roofed
dormers with sashes with glazing bars. Large off-centre ridge stack and further stack to right,
said to be flanked by mullion windows on gable end, now concealed. Rear cross range (to
south) 2 storeys with C20 square bay, unequal sashes with glazing bars and a modillion
cornice. External stack to gable. Two low gabled rear ranges, that to left containing staircase
has sash window with thick glazing bars. Further lower gabled
range to north, incorporating later buildings. Single-storey C20 linking range runs between
cross wings. Interior: C18 features include entrance hall with paired arches with keyed
archivolts on fluted pilasters leading to staircase with ramped dado panelling and twisted
balusters to first floor. Panelled room to right with fireplace with eared surround with Greek
key ornament, dentilled cornice and panelled overmantel Further panelled room to first floor
right. Replica of clasped purlin roof of front range which was destroyed in a fire of 1982.
Railings and gate: C18. Red brick and wrought iron. Dwarf wall supporting railings with
spearhead bars and standards with urn finials. Matching gate with dog
bars.
Archaeology | Heritage | Landscape | Ecology | Visualisations East Bergholt Conservation Area | 26
Table of listed buildings
No. on Map Historic England List
Entry
No.
Name Listing Text
Grade II
86 1351962 COTTAGE ADJOINING PAPER SHOP TO WEST Cottage, now also petrol garage premises. Early C19. Brick, colourwashed. Plain tile roof. Two
storeys and attic. 2-window front. Central 6-panel door in wood surround. S-pane sashes in
flush frames. Stepped and dentilled eaves. Mansard roof,
stack to rear. Rear range: 1 storey and attic under mansard roof. Interior not inspected.
87 1351963 WEST LODGE COTTAGES Cottage. Late C18 – early C19. Red brick in Flemish bond, rendered in part. Plain tile roof. One
storey and attic. Stands end on to drive. Two C20 casements. Right return C20 door in
architrave. Stepped and dentilled eaves. Half-hipped mansard roof with stacks to end and
rising through roof pitch to left. Included for group value. Interior not
inspected.
88 1389147 WAR MEMORIAL War memorial. 1921. By FC Eden. Clipsham ashlar. The memorial is in the form of a wayside
cross with a small gabled crucifix supported on an octagonal shaft with carved foliage band at
the top. The shaft rises from a stepped base and pedestal on which there are inscriptions to
those who died in both World Wars. Forms a group with the Church of St. Mary the Virgin
(qv).
Appendix 3—Constable Views in East Bergholt
Archaeology | Heritage | Landscape | Ecology | Visualisations | 119
Appendix 3 Constable View points within East Bergholt
Archaeology | Heritage | Landscape | Ecology | Visualisations | 120
Table of principal works by John Constable by location with source
Location Associated Paintings/ Drawings Media Date Source
East Bergholt Village
View of Beaufort Cottage by Golding Constable’s House Oil 1811 Private Collection
The House of Mr. Golding Constable at East Bergholt Pencil 1814 V&A
Golding Constable’s Flower Garden Oil on canvas 1815
Ipswich Borough Council Museums and Galleries
Golding Constable’s Kitchen Garden Oil on Canvas 1815 Ipswich Museum
Golding Constable’s House 1809 Yale Center for British Art
Golding Constable’s House, East Bergholt Oil on millboard laid on panel 1811 V&A
Mr. Golding Constable’s house, East Bergholt Oil 1811 Ipswich Museum
View at East Bergholt over the Kitchen Garden of Golding Constable’s House Pencil 1812-1816 V&A
East Bergholt House Oil on Canvas 1809 TATE
A Village Fair, probably East Bergholt Oil 1811 V&A
East Bergholt Street, East Bergholt Drawing 1796-9 V&A
East Bergholt House from East Bergholt Oil
View of East Bergholt House Oil 1811 Private Collection
East Bergholt Com-
mon/ Heath
East Bergholt 1808 Fitzwilliam Museum, Cambridge
Spring on East Bergholt Common Oil on Panel 1814 V&A
East Bergholt Oil on cardboard 1813 Yale Center for British Art
Landscape with a red tiled cottage, a windmill and a rainbow Oil 1819-25 Private
Church of St. Mary
East Bergholt Church
East Bergholt Church: Part of the West End Seen Beyond a Group of Elms Chalk on grey paper 1812 V&A
East Bergholt Church: the exterior from the south west Pen & watercolour 1796-9 V&A
East Bergholt Church: the exterior from the east Pencil & watercolour 1805-11 V&A
East Bergholt Church: part of the exterior from the north side Watercolour 1805-11 V&A
East Bergholt Church: the south archway of the ruined tower
Pencil &watercolour on pa-
per
1806 V&A
East Bergholt Church: the south archway of the ruined tower Pencil on paper 1812-16 V&A
East Bergholt Church: church of the ruined archway Oil on canvas 1810 V&A
East Bergholt Church: view from the east Watercolour 1806 V&A
East Bergholt Church: the archway of the ruined tower Pencil and watercolour on
paper
1805-1811 V&A
This table lists the major and well known works by JC arranged by location. It does not include
less well known works, or the multiple sketches and studies he undertook for each of the major
works. The EBS website covers the full range of work within the conservation area.
Archaeology | Heritage | Landscape | Ecology | Visualisations | 121
East Bergholt Rectory
The Old Rectory
Landscape with Clouds showing the Rectory
View Towards the Rectory, East Bergholt Oil on canvas on board 1813 Yale Center for British Art
View towards the Rectory, East Bergholt Oil on canvas 1810
West Lodge West Lodge, East Bergholt Oil on paper laid on panel 1813-16 Yale Center for British Art
The Old Hall The Old
Hall Gardens
Elm trees in Old Hall Park, East Bergholt Pencil with slight grey and white
washes
1817
Fen Lane/ Flatford Lane
A Lane near East Bergholt 1809
A Lane near Flatford (Fen Lane) Oil on Paper on canvas 1810-1811 TATE
Fen Lane, East Bergholt Oil on Canvas 1817 TATE
The Cornfield Oil on Canvas 1826 The National Gallery
Fen Lane
Oil on paper on
canvas
1811 Yale Center for British Art
The Lane from East Bergholt to Flatford Oil 1812
Museo Lazar Galdino
Collection
Flatford Mill
The Mill Stream, Willy Lott’s House
Colchester and Ipswich Museum Service: Ipswich
BC
Collection
The Hay Wain The National Gallery
Flatford Mill ‘Scene on a Navigational River’ Oil on canvas 1816-17 TATE
Flatford Lock
Willie Lot’s Cottage with a Rainbow Oil Private Collection
Boat Building near Flatford Mill Oil 1815 V&A
Leaping Horse Oil 1825 V&A
A country road with trees and figures, Willie Lott’s
House
Oil 1830 V&A
Flatford Lock
Oil on paper on
canvas
18-10-1811 Yale Center for British Art
Willie Lott’s House near Flatford Mill Oil on Paper 1810-1815 V&A
Table of works by John Constable by location with source
Archaeology | Heritage | Landscape | Ecology | Visualisations | 122
Views over Stour
Valley
View towards Stratford St. Mary Church Oil 1805 TATE
The valley of the Stour looking towards East
Bergholt
Watercolour 1800 V&A
Dedham Vale with the River Stour in Flood from the Grounds of Old Hall, East
Bergholt
Oil on canvas 1814-17 Sotheby’s / private collection
Summer Evening: View near East Bergholt
showing Langham Church, Stratford Church and Stoke-by-Nayland Church’
1811,1812 V&A
Miscellaneous
A Lane at East Bergholt Pencil 1815 V&A
A Hayfield near East Bergholt at Sunset Oil on Canvas 1812 V&A
A Landscape near East Bergholt: Evening Oil on Canvas 1812 V&A
Trees at East Bergholt Pencil 1917 V&A
Cottages at East Bergholt Watercolour 1832 V&A
Wheatsheaf’s Pencil 1815 V&A
A Lawn at East Bergholt Pencil on Paper 1815 V&A
An Autumnal Landscape at East Bergholt Oil on Canvas 1805-1808 Yale Center for British Art
Table of works by John Constable by location with source
Appendix 4—Acknowledgements, Bibliography
and References
Archaeology | Heritage | Landscape | Ecology | Visualisations | 124
HCUK Group give grateful thanks and acknowledgement to members of the East Bergholt
Society for being so generous of their knowledge. John Lyall and Sallie Davies, Adrian James,
Joan Miller and Nigel Roberts were welcoming, filled with information and anecdotes and
wholly invested in achieving the best possible protection for East Bergholt’s special character.
The East Bergholt Society website remains an invaluable source for anyone with an interest in
all aspects of East Bergholt both its landscape, the links to the Constable Family, important
buildings and matters of local history and interest which enables a real understanding about
the unique character of this place for residents and visitors alike, this report could not have
been compiled without its body of information and ease of use. Credits to information derived
from the East Bergholt Society Website are labelled ‘EBS’
Thanks to Nigel Downton for permission to use his aerial drone shots of the village centre and
Burnt Oak/Gandish Road areas.
Thanks to Vincent Pearce and Tegan Cheney at Babergh and Mid Suffolk for their input and
careful reviews.
The East Bergholt Parochial Church Council for kind permission to use extracts from the
Brasier maps and Enclosure map, which are in their ownership.
Thanks also to Jeremy Lake who provided invaluable information on the landscape qualities
and history of the National Trust Holdings at Flatford with access to reporting on the
Conservation Management Plan he has completed for the National Trust.
Thanks to all those who reviewed and commented and to any landowners who allowed access
in the production of this report.
Images are for the most part the authors own. Photographic contributions by other members
of the East Bergholt Community and Parish Council are credited where relevant, Initials for
photographic credits are:
JL—John Lyall
GR—Graham Reed
ND—Nigel Downton, drone photography
EBS where not identified otherwise and are borrowed from the EBS website
Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act, 1990
National Planning Policy Framework, December 2024
National Planning Practice Guidance, 2019
Historic England (2019, 2nd edition) Conservation Area Appraisal, Designation and
Management: Historic England Advice Note 1
The Setting of Heritage Assets: Historic Environment Good Practice Advice in Planning Note 3
(Second Edition). Historic England (2017 edition)
Conservation Principles, Policies and Guidance, Historic England (2008)
Oxford City Council (n.d.) The Oxford Character Assessment Toolkit
Dedham Vale AONB Management Plan 2010 -2015: http://www.dedhamvalestourvalley.org/
assets/ Publications/Management-Plan-Docs/DVAONB7996ManagementStrategyPlan. Pdf
https://national-landscapes.org.uk/national-landscapes/Dedham-vale
Suffolk County Council website: http://www.suffolklandscape.org.uk/landscape_typology.aspx
Suffolk Historic Landscape Characterisation and Suffolk Landscape Character Project: https://
heritage.suffolk.gov.uk/hlc
Stour Landscape Partnership. Managing a Masterpiece: http://
www.dedhamvalestourvalley.org/managingamasterpiece/
O’Dell, S and Munro, S () The Stour Valley Heritage Compendium: https://
www.riverstourtrust.org/about/history/
The East Bergholt Society website: https://www.ebsoc.org.uk/
https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list
www.heritagegateway.org.uk
http://magic.defra.gov.uk
www.history.ac.uk/victoria-county-history
East Bergholt in Old Photographs and Documents Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/
groups/EBinOldPhotos/
HCUK Group Acknowledgments, Community Involvement
Policy and Guidance
Bibliography and References
National Landscapes information
Online general resources
Appendix 4: Acknowledgements, Bibliography and References
Archaeology | Heritage | Landscape | Ecology | Visualisations | 125
Information on Commons: https://www.campop.geog.cam.ac.uk/blog/2025/02/06/common –
land/
Association of Commons: https://acraew.org.uk/history-common-land-and-village-greens
A Survey of Suffolk Parish History: https:// heritage.suffolk.gov.uk/parish-histories
European Route of Industrial Heritage: The Stour Navigation—https://www.erih.net/i-want-
to-go-there/site/river-stour-navigation
https://maps.nls.uk
1731 William Brasier. Survey of the parish of East Bergholt with part of Stratford St Mary,
Higham, Holton, Brantham & Bentley. (Suffolk Records Office FB191/A/8/1).
1733 William Brasier. A Survey of Several Mannors in the County of Suffolk. (Suffolk
Records Office V5/5/3.1).
Both reproduced with the kind permission of the East Bergholt Parish Church Council
1817 East Bergholt Enclosure Map (Suffolk Records Office B150/1/4.2).
1837 East Bergholt Parish Tithe Map (NA IR 29/33/41).
Transcripts and extracts from East Bergholt Court Rolls and Books (Suffolk Record Office
FB191/N/3/1).
Jeremy Lake (2025) National Trust Conservation Management Plan
Heritage Collective (2020) ‘East Bergholt Historic Landscape Appraisal’
Alison Farmer Associates (2016) Dedham Vale AONB Natural Beauty and Special Qualities
and Perceived and Anticipated Risks Final Report
Archer, L (1985) Raymond Erith—Architect
Archer, L; Powell, K; Saumarez-Smith, G; and, Terry, Q, Kenneth (2006) ‘Raymond Erith:
Progressive Classicist 1904-1973’. The Sir John Soane Museum, London
Parkinson, R (1998) ’John Constable: The Man and his Art’, London : V+A
Thornes J E (1999) John constable’s Skies’ Birmingham : Birmingham University Press
Vaughn, W (1999) ‘British Painting: The Golden Age’ Thames and Hudson; London
Original Documents and Maps
Reports
Published works
East Bergholt, Constable
Heartland and Flatford
Conservation Area Appraisal
21 July 2026
Directorate of Place, Babergh and Mid
Suffolk District Councils:
Heritage Team:
Vincent Pearce BA( Hons) MRTPI
Tegan Chenery BA (Hons) MSt
HCUK Group:
Jody O’Reilly BA (Hons) MA IHBC CIfA
East Bergholt Parish Council:
Joan Miller
Sallie Davies
Nigel Roberts
East Bergholt Society:
John Lyall FRIBA
East Bergholt
Parish Council
1925 drawing of A. R. Powys to demonstrate the state of repair in Willy Lott’s House. The initial efforts to preserve the house were inspired in part by the
resurgence of interest in Constable’s Paintings in the 1920s. From the beginning of the 1920s the Society for the Protection of Ancient Buildings (SPAB) made
concentrated efforts to raise awareness and interest in the preserving of the cottage which was falling into serious disrepair.
https://www.spab.org.uk/news/archive-willy-lotts-house
HCUK Group is a multi-disciplinary environmental practice offering expert advice in archaeology, heritage,
landscape, arboriculture, and planning. We began life as Heritage Collective LLP in 2010, before becoming
Heritage Collective UK Limited in 2014. Finally, in 2020, we became HCUK Group Limited
HCUK Project Number: 5784B
Version History
V1: 30.09.2025
V2: 18.01.2026
V3: 11.02.2026
V4: 09.07.2026