East Bergholt Society
The East Bergholt Society - Chair’s Annual Report 2018
Planning: Planning applications have been made unremittingly throughout the year:
- Proposed changes to existing buildings have been opposed on a number of occasions
- A formal presentation to the Planning Committee recommended rejection of the planning applications relating to new housing developments in East Bergholt i.e. Moores Lane, land adjacent to the G.P. surgery and Hadleigh road (2nd August 2017)
- Relevant bodies were urged to give due credence to East Bergholt’s Neighbourhood Plan and on a number of occasions were reminded about the unique character of this village
- Planning Committee meetings: the Society’s secretary pursued with Babergh their process and methodology re notification of Planning Committee Meetings. (August 2018)
John Constable: His birthday was celebrated in style. All were invited to use their creative skills to produce an inspirational birthday card for him. A large number of cards were submitted and all were displayed and available for sale. The proceeds were split between the Church restoration fund and Constable Hall.
Newly acquired primary sources:
- In January 2018 the Society received an unpublished copy of Brenda Gamlin’s book about the Lambe School.
- In January 2018 the Society received a set of handwritten documents relating to significant buildings in East Bergholt. Content principally appears to relate to court actions and inventories.
- A set of early 20th century photographs and postcards.
Links with other statutory and voluntary groups and societies:
- The Society has representation on the Parish Council. Members have regularly attended and contributed at the monthly meetings.
- Links with The Dedham Vale society, Suffolk Preservation Society, and the East Bergholt Community Land Trust continue to flourish.
GDPR: the Society fulfilled the legal requirements which came into effect on 25th May 2018.
Publicity: The local community and the wider public had access to information via a wide range of media. Examples included the Parish magazine, local radio, the internet, e-mail, posters and newspaper articles. Working with Action East Bergholt a joint flyer on the outcome of the judicial review was circulated to every house in the village. (September 2017)
My thanks go once more to Patricia and Peter for their unstinting commitment to this Society. They have made sure the voice of the East Bergholt Society has been heard far and wide, loud and clear. This achievement is possibly of greater importance now than at any previous point in the lifetime of the Society.
C.L. Ireland 26th May 2018